James Dawson was born on 25 January 1782. He married Mary Hewit on 16 July 1800 in Loudoun County, as witnessed by John Littlejohn. By 1820 the Dawson household contained five children, two boys and three girls.
Dawson was a landowner in Loudoun County and served in the 57th Regiment of Virginia Militia. Additionally, he was associated with and may have owned the Washington Tavern located on King Street in Leesburg. Dawson died of unknown causes on 10 February 1830, and was buried in Lorton, Virginia, at the Cranford United Methodist Church Cemetery.
By Courtney Hudson